Q: How do I know if I'm a transfer student?
A: Any student who has attended a postsecondary institution after graduating high school (with the exception of attendance during the summer term immediately following graduation) is considered a transfer student.
Q: Does my GPA from my previous institution(s) transfer to MSU?
A: No, previous grade-point average (GPA) does not transfer to MSU. When a student enrolls at MSU, a new GPA is established after the first semester of classes. However, all grades, courses, and previously attended institutions may be used in the calculation for the purpose of admission to the university. Applicants with a GPA below a 2.0 are not admissible to the university.
Q: How do I know what classes I should take if I'm interested in a specific major?
A: Please consult your academic advisor who can run a what-if report on your behalf.
Q: When will I find out how my classes transfer to MSU?
A: All admitted students are required to submit an Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED) confirming their planned enrollment at MSU.

Once an official transcript is received, the student is admitted to the university, and the AED is paid, an evaluation will be completed for transfer credit. This information will first be made available to the student when attending their New Student Orientation (NSO) advising appointment. Transfer credits will be available to view via transcript through Campus Solutions.

Until then, transfer students are encouraged to use the Transfer MSU to search and identify courses that may transfer.
Q: What do I need to keep in mind when considering taking courses abroad and expecting them to transfer?
A: Acceptance of courses and credits deemed suitable for transfer to MSU is determined by faculty in the department, school, or college responsible for instruction in the subject area. For more information, please see the Transfer Courses and Credits section of Academic Programs.

There are many international summer programs in East Asia administered by a third-party collaborating with an institution hosting the program on a campus. If the program is not part of a university degree program, or if it is not fully run by the university, it may not be eligible for transfer credit.

MSU offers its own summer programs in East Asia through education abroad, which award MSU credit.

Please note: in general, the transfer of credit from a higher learning institution cannot be guaranteed. Credit for summer and other non-degree programs offered on the campuses of officially recognized international institutions may be subject to an additional review. In many cases, transcripts demonstrating a completed course of study must be reviewed to determine transfer credit.
Q: Why is my course/institution not listed in Transfer MSU searchable credit equivalency system?
A: MSU's transfer credit evaluators add courses to the Transfer MSU searchable credit equivalency system as they are reviewed. If you do not see your course or institution listed, it does not mean you will not receive credit. It simply means your course, or a course from your institution, has yet to be reviewed by an MSU transfer credit evaluator.
Q: I'm from Michigan. Will MSU accept my Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) stamp?
A: MSU is an active participant in the Michigan Transfer Agreement. For students transferring to MSU who have received the designation of "MTA Satisfied" on their incoming Community College transcript, the general education requirements* at MSU will be satisfied.

*Waiving a university requirement does not waive a course as a prerequisite.
Q: Can I come to campus to learn more about transferring to MSU?
A: The Office of Admissions provides presentations on admission requirements, academic programs, campus life, and more for prospective transfer students and their families. Reservations are required. Transfer visit options and reservations can be made on the Office of Admissions website.
Q: I still have questions. How can I learn more about transferring to MSU?
A: Transfer admission requirements are available on the Office of Admissions website. Prospective students can attend a presentation on transfer admission followed by campus tour. Reservations are required.
Q: How can I find course transfer information for other Michigan colleges or universities?
A: Course transfer information is available on the Michigan Transfer Network (MTN) website.